About My Quest

Happy pigs in mud, cows in clover. This is the way we like to think of farm animals. Unfortunately this is most often not the case. My love of animals and conviction that eating meat is part of the ideal healthy human diet has led me to seek out meat that is:

Humanely raised and treated
Free range
Grass fed
Hormone and Antibiotic free
Pesticide free
Affordable

Although certified organic food is wonderful because you are assured that the producers strictly satisfy the above criteria the cost of these products is generally very high and not affordable for everyone.
'Organic' is a ridiculous term because it simply means that it consists of natural elements. Many food producers are predominantly 'organic' by the definition set out by reputable certifiers however for a range of reasons they do not bother with the expense of becoming certified.
Many farmers produce food that fits the list above and I plan to find them. I encourage you to band together with friends, family and colleagues to buy in bulk direct from these farmers.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Off to Gippsland for my first site visit

After much Googling I was very impressed with these Farmers in Gippsland.


They claim to satisfy the criteria.

"So if you want meat that is free of hormones and antibiotics in addition to being raised with care and kindness - buy it direct from the farm."

They are not certified 'organic' and their prices are very reasonable. Good quality lamb packs for A$13.88 per kilo and beef packs for A$15 per kilo.

I have emailed them to let them know that I wish to visit and blog about it. I will follow up with a call to arrange a visit and see how they feel about the blogging.


No comments:

Post a Comment